KCP’S 2022 YOUTH PRODUCTION
Auditions June 13th to 18th
About the show
Buddy, a young orphan, mistakenly crawls into Santa’s bag of gifts and is transported to the North Pole. The would-be elf is raised, unaware that he is actually a human, until his enormous size and poor toy-making abilities cause him to face the truth. With Santa’s permission, Buddy embarks on a journey to New York City to find his birth father and discover his true identity. Faced with the harsh reality that his father is on the naughty list and that his half-brother doesn’t even believe in Santa, Buddy is determined to win over his new family and help New York remember the true meaning of Christmas.
This modern-day holiday classic is sure to make every young performer embrace their “inner elf” with plenty of large ensemble numbers featuring elves and (New Yorkers) of every type.
Elf Jr. is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). www.MTIShows.com
BEFORE YOU AUDITION – PLEASE READ
Rehearsal and Production requirements
Move in at theatre: November 21st
- The ensemble in Elf Jr features many high energy and exciting roles for all ages, and we intend to give every cast member a featured part at some point in the show.
- Please dress appropriately as a dance/movement audition will be required.
- Please make yourself familiar with the show before your audition. Info can be found at:
Session 1 (Primary Roles): June 13th & 14th 4-8pm (choose one day)These auditions will be scheduled in hour long sections for groups of 8-10 people. We will send you an excerpt from the script that you will have to become familiar with. There are 4 segments to this session
- We teach the group a small choreographed/movement number from the show.
- Individual vocal auditions – Please prepare 2 minutes/16 Bars MAX of a musical theatre song that showcases your vocal range. You must provide a karaoke track, or send sheet music ahead of time for the accompanist. Please do not sing a capella.
- Cold reading – you will be asked to perform part of the excerpt we sent you at scheduling time.
- The group dance routine learned at the beginning of auditions will be performed again
Note: Anyone considered for a primary role is required to attend session 3. These individuals will be notified by email promptly after session 1*
Session 2 (Featured & Ensemble roles) June 16th 5-9pm
This session will require no individual auditionsThese auditions will be scheduled in hour blocks with up to 15 people.There are three segments to this session
- All attendees will warm up with dance and movement activities. The choreographer will teach a simple dance sequence to be performed back in groups.
- Everyone will learn an ensemble number from the show. The song will be sent to you in your email once you schedule your audition.
- Cold reading – The directors may ask attendees to read for featured roles.
Session 3 (callbacks for primary roles) June 18th 10 am- 12 pm
During this session we will be doing cold reads and learning songs from the show. Everyone that is called back will be required to stay for the whole allotted time unless stated otherwise in the email.
Note : All attendees could be required to read & sing for several different characters, so be prepared for anything and become familiar with the show.
The Production Team
Director: Noah Hollinshead
Music Director: Karen Parnell
Choreographers: Margo Spellman, Claire Johnson