The Big One-Oh! JR. is a wildly creative, funny, and clever coming-of-age story full of so much heart, and endless fun! Charley Maplewood is about to reach a milestone: he’s turning ten – the big one-oh! He has never been one for parties — that would require friends, which he doesn’t have. Well, unless you count his monster friends, but they’re only imaginary. Charley’s still adjusting to his parents’ divorce and his move to a completely new school. Now that he’s turning ten, he decides to throw a birthday party for himself, complete with a “House of Horrors” theme. Of course, things don’t work out as he plans. Will Charley be able to pull it together before the big one-oh… becomes the big OH-NO!?
Based on the beloved book, The Big One-Oh! JR is a brand new musical that features lyrics by Academy Award-winner (Fame, Footloose) Dean Pitchford, the author of the novel; music by three-time Tony-winner Doug Besterman (The Producers, Fosse, Elf, Young Frankenstein), and a book by iTheatric’s award-winning playwright Timothy Allen McDonald (Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka, James and the Giant Peach).
*Ages 10-18 may audition
* Read through/meet and greet: June 22nd (TBC)
*Rehearsals start September 10th
*Rehearsal times are Tuesdays and Thursdays 4:30-7:00 and Sundays 1:00-5:00. You must make every effort to be present at all the rehearsals for which you are scheduled so as to not hold back the rehearsal process. If there will be conflicts (such as previously scheduled appointments, vacations etc.), please be prepared to let us know at the auditions.
Mandatory dates *Non-negotiable
Tech and Dress rehearsals: November 4th, 5th & 6th
Performances at Georgian Theatre – School Matinees: November 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th (Must be available from 8 am- 3:30 pm)
Public Performances: Friday November 10th at 7.00pm, , November 11th (at 2.00pm and 7.00pm) Sunday November 12th at 2.00pm
Session 1: For anyone interested in a primary role, which include:
Charley Maplewood, Dad, Zombie King, Swampy, Alien, Garry Quarky, Mom, Lorena, Jennifer Mobley, Donna Pointer, Darryl Egbert, Cougar, Scottie, Vince Champagne. This session will involve individual auditions and a small group dance audition.
Anyone who auditions for a primary role will ALSO be considered for featured/ ensemble roles.
Session 2: For anyone interested in auditioning ONLY for ensemble and featured roles such as Boing Boing (the dog), Mrs. Cleveland, Lillian, Lilith, Leilani, Dina, Dana, Assistant Andy. Assistant Annie, Stacy as well as several other fun and high energy roles. This session will involve a group dance and singing audition. No solo singing is required.
Session 3: Callbacks for anyone considered for a primary role.
Session 1 (Primary Roles): June 12th & 13th 4:30-8:30pm (choose one day)
These auditions will be scheduled in hour long sections for groups of 8-10 people. We will send you an excerpt from the script that you will have to become familiar with.
There are 3 segments to this session
- We teach the group a small choreographed/movement number from the show.
- Individual vocal auditions – Please prepare 2 minutes MAX of a musical theatre song that showcases your vocal and acting range suitable to the show. You must provide a karaoke track, please do not sing acapella.
- Cold reading – you will be asked to perform part of the excerpt we send you.
Note: Anyone considered for a primary role and has received a callback, is required to attend session 3. These individuals will be notified by email promptly after session 1*
Session 2 (Featured & Ensemble roles) June 15th 6:00pm-9:00pm
This session will require no individual auditions
These auditions will be scheduled in hour blocks with up to 15 people.
There are three segments to this session
- All attendees will warm up with dance and movement activities. The choreographer will teach a simple dance sequence to be performed back in groups.
- Everyone will learn an ensemble number from the show. The song will be sent to you in your email once you schedule your audition.
- Cold reading – The director may ask attendees to read for featured roles.
Session 3 (callbacks for primary roles) June 17th 11 am-1 pm
During this session we will be doing cold reads and learning songs from the show. Everyone that is called back will be required to stay for the whole allotted time unless stated otherwise in the email.
Note : All attendees could be required to read & sing for several different characters, so be prepared for anything and become familiar with the show.
- Anyone attending Session 1 will also be considered for featured and ensemble roles.
- The Big One-Oh! Jr is an ensemble heavy-show and features many high energy and exciting roles for all ages, we intend to give every cast member a featured part at some point in the show, and every person in the cast can expect to play multiple different characters!
- Understudies may be casted.
- Character ages & genders are flexible.
- Please dress appropriately as a dance/movement audition will be required.
- Please make yourself familiar with the show before your audition. You can find songs & character information here: https://www.mtishows.com/the-big-one-oh-jr
AUDITION FORM BUTTON – COMING SOON HERE! To schedule your audition please complete the audition form above. Once you have sent the form you will be contacted via email with a date and time. We cannot guarantee the day you choose.